Friday, January 25, 2008

Same Old War Songs

I can't seem to find an authentic version of "I'm Glad My Wife's in Europe," although I have seen it for sale on a CD made to sound like the original 78rpm recording. I did find another "casual" version of the words - and according to this version, the man was eating "cream on peas." And there is far more to it than anything I've found.

Oh, yes, and I found an actual 78 record on eBay - the exact same one we had, with "I'm Going Back to Louisiana" on the other side.

As for "Watch, Hope, and Wait, Little Girl" - I found a copy of old sheet music on the internet, and got the words from that. It shows 2 verses; I only remember one on our old record. What I posted previously was the chorus only. But the first verse goes like this:

Had a little time today
So I write these lines to say
I am feeling fine
Soldier life for mine
Hard work and some play
Underneath the pale moonlight
Thinking of you every night
Have no fear
Sweetheart, dear,
And while I'm over here

Chorus:
Watch, little girl, and hope, little girl,
And wait, little girl for me.
Pray, little girl, every day, little girl,
While I'm across the sea;
Give my love to Ma;
Say "hello" to Pa;
And you know I'm longing, dear,
To know just how you are;
So write, little girl, every night, little girl,
And promise you'll be true.
And I'll fight, little girl,
With all my might, little girl,
'Till I come back to you.

(Originally posted November 27, 2006)

No comments: