Friday, January 25, 2008

More Old War Songs

Ah, and talking about war songs!

My father once bought an old Victrola at an auction - one of those you had to wind up - with loads of records - the old 78 rpms. There were a couple of old war songs, probably from World War I. The first one I remember is "Watch, Hope, and Wait, Little Girl" - well, I don't remember the whole thing, and what I do remember is not very clear. It's a soldier, writing home to his sweetheart.

What I remember goes something like this:

Watch, little girl, and hope, little girl,
And wait, little girl, for me.
Pray, little girl, every day, little girl,
While I'm across the sea.
Give my love to Ma;
Say "Hello" to Pa;
And you know I'm longing,dear,
To know just how you are.
So write, little girl, every night, little girl,
And promise you'll be true.
And I'll fight, little girl, with all my might, little girl,
Till I come back to you.

And then there was the one my mother wouldn't let us play - but we sneaked it in once in a while when she wasn't around - or when we thought she wasn't around. I don't remember the terminology she used, but essentially, she told us that the sentiments expressed therein were inappropriate - which was true enough, but we thought it was funny - in fact, I still kinda think it's funny. Eventually she caught us playing it one time too many, and she scratched up the record so we couldn't play it any more. She didn't break it, because the one on the reverse side was acceptable. Just the title will tell you what's wrong with the sentiment - "I'm Glad My Wife's in Europe." I can't remember it all too well, but here is the chorus, as best I can remember it. Maybe one of my brothers or sisters can remember it, and give me corrections.

I'm glad my wife's in Europe
And she can't get back;
She can't get back;
While I'm eating ham and cheese*
She's eating beans with a refugee;
The only way she can reach me
Is to swim across the sea.
I'm sorry that there should be war;
I don't know what they're fighting for,
But I'm glad my wife's in Europe
And she can't get back to me.


*I really don't remember what he was eating.

Note on edit: I found a version on the 'net, said he was eating "lamb and cheese."

Note - (Jan 13, 2007) - Middy says the victrola was given to us. What do I know, I was just a little kid then.


(Originally posted November 21, 2006)

No comments: