Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This Book Is Sooooo Good!

I bought 2 of Randy Alcorn's fiction books - "The Edge of Eternity" and "Safely Home."

The first book I read the whole way through in one day. The other was a little slow starting, but once you get into it, it's hard to lay it down. If you can imagine this! I had to tear myself away from it to get on the internet to get up to date.

The first book is somewhat of a allegory, a sort-of modern "Pilgrim's Progress," that the main character went through in a difficult time in his life. He didn't start out on his journey as a Christian, but found Christ while on it.

The second book depicts the persecuted church in China. It goes into such detail that you think the author must have been there and seen (for all I know, he may have been, or he may have had information from people who did). It was very realistic. But it has little bits here and there of people already in Heaven watching with the Lord as the story unfolds, with the frequent refrain, "How long, oh, Lord?" (Quotation from the saints "under the altar" in Revelation). It also has the view of a man in the afterlife who never repented. It doesn't name him, but in the context, it clearly refers to Mao Tse Tung.

I will certainly buy more of Alcorn's fiction!

I was introduced to Randy Alcorn when my great-niece Kathryn recommended his non-fiction book, Heaven. I fully intended to buy a copy of it, then our Sunday School class got it and we are working our way through it. It has a study guide available, but only the teachers have those in our Sunday School Class. I have already read that book in its entirety, and it inspired me to buy some of his fiction.

No comments: