Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ossian's Serenade

This is an ancient one that sister Middy was asking me about. I think this one came from Daddy. I looked it up on the internet, found bits and pieces here and there, and pulled another piece out of my memory. The "bits and pieces" don't all agree with each other, and some of them I am certain are outright mistaken, so I'll present it here as close to possible from my memory, jogged by the "bits and pieces." Incidentally, one of the locations treated it as anonymous, but another gave credit to one Ossian E. Dodge, thus the name, Ossian's Serenade. Another title it's known by is "The Burman's Serenade."

1. O come with me in my little canoe,
While the sea is calm and the sky is blue;
O come with me, for I long to go
To the land where the mango apples grow.

Chorus:
I'll chase the antelope over the plain
The tiger's cub I'll bind with a chain,
The wild gazelle with its silvery feet
I'll give to thee as a playmate sweet.

2.O come with me and be my love,
For thee the jungle depths I’ll rove,
I’ll gather honeycomb bright as gold
And chase the elk to its secret hold.

3. I’ll climb way up to the cuckoo’s nest,
Bright leaves I will gather for to deck thy crest;
I'll pierce the coconut for its wine
And haste to thee if thou'lt be mine!

4. Then come with me in my little canoe,
While the sea is calm and the sky is blue,
For if we linger another day
Storms may rise and love decay.

No comments: