Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sam

A while back I posted about death-bed repentances. Now I want to mention the recent passing of a friend whose repentance was long before his death-bed.

I have known Sam for about 17 years. I never heard him say much. But whenever he spoke, what he had to say was worth listening to. People who spent time in his home found that he spoke more freely there. Every Sunday morning Sam sat in a chair by the door and distributed church bulletins and Sunday school papers. Our pastor hasn’t had the heart yet to ask someone to replace him. He had been missing from his “spot” most of the time since he fell down the church steps a few months ago, and we all missed him.

If Sam had lived a couple months longer, he and his wife would have celebrated 60 years of marriage. They were both saved shortly after their marriage, and they never looked back. Sam was a good husband and father, and he was a good provider. His pastor said that there was only one other person whose funeral he had in his 20 years as a pastor that was as high a caliber Christian as Sam was.

Sam’s legacy will live a long time. Who knows how many lives he touched and influenced in the right direction?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

here I am, Doris

Unknown said...

I rarely come in here, I send the posts [blogs] by way of my multiply page if I think it's worth sending...just happened to see your reply to the banana/coconut joke...lol....Joy